Saturday, November 13, 2010

Debt of Gratitude

I’m not sure how you thank people like this. 



Jackson had planned to get his Eagle Project done over the summer after we moved to Idaho.  When we were still here at the end of July, I suggested that he pick a project that could be completed quickly and get started before we moved.  Jackson contacted a local women’s and children’s shelter to find out what they were in need of and see if he could do a drive for them.  When he found out that they were in need of beds, he decided that maybe he could build some.  We discussed this idea, and of course I was thrilled that he had finally decided on a project that he felt good about.  I think we were both naïve about the time commitment though. 
Since James was in Idaho and I had no idea how to build a bed, I suggested that Jackson contact Brother Brooking, a true craftsman, and really good friend.  Jackson found a pattern for a twin sized bed online and called Brother Brooking to see if he would be willing to give him some advice on how to go about this project.  In hindsight, I don’t know if I would have allowed Jackson to contact Brother Brooking if I'd had any idea what we were really asking of him.  Brother Brooking agreed to help and he and Jackson spent hours planning, pricing wood, buying wood, sanding, building a prototype, and then building the beds.  Jackson knew he was going to learn how to build beds the right way when Brother Brooking had him sand all the wood before he even made the first cut. 
The Brookings fed Jackson meals and put up with a big mess in their garage for several weeks while the beds were being built.  It was necessary to work at their house since they had all the tools.  All total, I am sure that Brother Brooking spent over a hundred hours helping Jackson with this project.  
Eventually the beds were brought to our house and Jackson invited friends and youth group leaders to help finish the sanding and staining.  Siblings were involved too.  Two weeks ago the beds were completed and the Brookings came over with another friend in our ward to help Jackson load them onto a trailer and deliver them.  It was pouring down (and I do mean pouring down) rain.  These friends came cheerfully and spent another couple hours with Jackson delivering the project. 


Later that evening, I asked Jackson if he realized how many hours Brother Brooking had spent helping him with this project.  He replied that he did and that he was so grateful.  I told Jackson that I hoped someday he would spend hundreds of hours helping some young boy complete his Eagle project.  He said, “I will.”  We have all learned about a lot more than building beds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment