Friday, October 29, 2010

A Good Day!

Yesterday Yuhua ran in the 5K race at districts in Oregon City.
  This was his competition. 


Amazingly, he finished 12th with a time of 18:09.  I love watching my kids participate in their various activities, but I especially enjoyed watching this race. 

Pulling ahead
   
After Yuhua’s race, I raced... back to McMinnville and arrived just in time for John’s soccer game.  Thankfully my support crew -- Jackson, Savannah, and Brooklyn -- assisted in getting John to the soccer field (Jackson is now driving our beater “third family car” which Yuhua informed me tonight that he “hopes he will not have to inherit because it makes really weird noises.”) and making sure he had everything he needed (cub scout uniform, water bottle, and pumpkin) for the rest of the evening.  It was rainy and cold, but John didn’t seem to mind.  His team lost.  They’ve lost every game this season, but John didn’t seem to mind that either.  He ran back and forth across the field propelling the ball with his feet, chest, knees, and head.  It never ceases to amaze me how John instinctively uses his head to stop or change the direction of the ball.  My natural impulse is to duck which is probably why I was never any good at soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball, dodgeball…  : )


We capped off the evening with a pack meeting.  We were wet, hungry, and tired at this point, but there is nothing like a bunch of cub scout cheers to pep you up : ) We shouted lots of silly cheers to celebrate the boy's achievements.  John was in heaven.  And then we hurried home, inhaled dinner, practiced spelling words, and collapsed.  It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment